New Hampshire Name Change FAQ

What are some of the most popular reasons for change of name?

Name changes are sought for many reasons. Perhaps you simply do not like your birth name and want a name that better suits you. Perhaps you are making or have made a career change, and feel that your birth name hinders you in your new job. Perhaps the minor has a nickname which (s)he now desires to make his/her official legal name. As far as the reason(s) for change of name, the reason(s) should be valid enough that a Judge would at least accept it/them. Remember that the reason(s) will go a long way in helping the Judge determine whether or not to grant the Petition.

Name changes are common and are typically pretty easy to carry out. Our forms services contain detailed filing information and instructions to help one successfully change his/her/the minor's name without the cost of an attorney.

Back to Top

Can I change my name to any name I want?

The Courts are often willing to accept name changes for almost any legitimate reason. However, the granting of a Petition for change of name is discretionary with the court, and the court may deny a Petition on grounds, which would not constitute lawful objection. For an Order of name change to be granted, the court must find compliance with the requirements of notice and the requirements for the allegations in the Petition. The court must find also find good and sufficient reasons for the change and also find it consistent with the public interest. Lastly, when the change of name is for a minor, the Court must find that the change is in the best interests of the minor child.

One cannot change his/her/the minor's name for a fraudulent reason (such as to avoid debts), change to a name that could affect the rights of another person (such as a celebrity) nor change to a name which involves a curse word, racial slur, obscene and/or an offensive word as part of the name. Additionally, one cannot change his/her/the minor's name to a name that would cause deliberate confusion (for example, a name with punctuation and/or a number in it).

Back to Top

What are the fees involved with a name change application?

The cost of our forms is the only charge we will collect. Other charges you may incur in the filing of any legal pleading with a court could include: filing fees, postage for certified mailings, fees associated with the signatures and seals of a Notary Public, publication fees and service of process charges. It is difficult to determine exactly what fees will be needed due to the varying circumstances surrounding any legal action or case. Moreover, the processes and requirements for a name change application vary sometimes from county to county or even courthouse to courthouse. We recommend that you contact your local court clerk for information regarding the exact current cost of these fees.

Back to Top

How long will the entire application for change of name take?

Name change actions can take anywhere from a day to six (6) months (sometimes even longer). The time it takes for such action to be ordered/decreed varies not only from county to county, but sometimes from courthouse to courthouse as well. Should time be a major factor for you, to see how long a name change at your local courthouse will take to process, we recommend that you contact the courthouse where you anticipate filing your particular legal action.

Back to Top

Can the entire procedure take place online or will a court appearance be necessary?

We always recommend that our customers file their actions (forms) in-person at their local courthouse. This is the fastest, easiest and best approach to filing. Besides appearing to file your forms, name change actions often require other appearances within court.

If you have further questions regarding court appearances pertaining to a name change application, we recommend that you contact your local court clerk with your questions.

Back to Top

If I was born in Florida but have since moved to New Hampshire, in which state should I file my application for change of name?

In order to file for a name change, one must meet the residency requirements of the state in which he/she wishes to file. In other words, in order to petition a state for name change, you must be a permanent resident of that state. All states require a Petitioner/Applicant to be a resident of the state -- often for at least six months and sometimes for as long as one year -- before filing for a name change there. Someone who files for a name change, typically, must offer proof that (s)he has resided there for the required length of time.

Back to Top

I am only interested in changing my first name. Do your forms apply to this circumstance?

Our name change forms are applicable to changes of the first name, middle name, last name and/or any combination.

Back to Top

Do I need to go through the court ordered procedure if I am only correcting my first and/or middle name(s)?

If you are only correcting a first or middle name AND you were born in New Hampshire, you MAY NOT need to go through the court-ordered process. We recommend that you contact the Vital Records Department/Agency in New Hampshire. Contact information for the New Hampshire State Vital Records Office can be found at You may also want to contact your local Court Clerk for further information.

Back to Top

Are your name change forms appropriate if I have recently married?

Our name change forms are not to be used when the name change is a result of marriage -- a simpler procedure should be involved.

Back to Top

Are your name change forms appropriate in adoption proceedings or paternity actions?

Our name change products and services are not to be used in connection with an adoption or paternity action, since in such cases the name change should be done as part of that case or proceeding.

Back to Top

In your notes regarding this service it states that if someone has claimed bankruptcy, they should consider contacting a lawyer. I filed for bankruptcy but have been discharged for 5 years. Should I still consider using a lawyer or is it ok to use this kit or service?

Our name change forms are for simple uncontested name change actions only. Attempting to change one's name when contemplating filing for bankruptcy and/or after one has claimed bankruptcy can be complicated and our name change pleadings are not applicable in such situations. These situations would typically require the assistance of an attorney who is a member of the bar in the state in which you live.

Back to Top

Does your kit provide me with all the required forms, information and filing instructions?

Our state-specific name change materials contain more than just the needed forms. Our staff reviews state statutes, laws, regulations, and requirements when developing our forms. Detailed instructions are included with each package. Within that text is always a recommendation that our customers contact their local court clerk to ensure that all necessary forms have been obtained. Our forms are state-specific. We recognize however that local laws vary -- not just from state to state, but even from county to county. We make every effort to ensure that our legal forms are as comprehensive as possible -- county and courthouse variation information however is not always readily available to our staff. Also, we cannot promise any of our customers perfection -- only our best efforts. Your local jurisdiction may require forms or papers that we have missed. More often than not, if something is missing from a form set, it is usually a single form or county cover sheet. These missing forms are usually available from the local court clerk.

Back to Top

How does your Document Preparation Service work?

Our Document Preparation Service requires that you complete an online Questionnaire. Your responses on the Questionnaire will then be used to prepare the documents. If our staff requires additional information, or if you fail to answer the required questions, our staff will contact you. The prepared forms, with further instructions, will be returned to you as an attachment to an e-mail within a few business days (assuming we do not need additional information from you).

This service costs $99.95 for an Adult or Minor name change. Our fee includes the preparation of the forms and delivery of the forms in a data format. Paper or disk copies of the forms can be mailed to you for a small additional charge. Other charges which may become necessary in the filing of any legal document with a court could include: filing fees, postage for certified mailings, fees associated with the signatures and seals of a Notary Public, publication fees and service of process charges. These fees and charges are the responsibility of the Petitioner, not our company.

Back to Top

If I choose to purchase the Document Preparation Service, will I still have to contact all entities to amend documents, for example, passport, driver's license, etc. Or will those changes be submitted for me through this process for Document Preparation?

Once the forms have been delivered, you will have further steps to take. Our service does not include any notarization of forms. Likewise, we do not file your papers with any court or assist with other requirements, such as service or publication procedures. While we do provide a listing of agencies/places to contact after your action has been ordered or decreed (approved and finalized), we do not assist in these procedures. These steps will be your responsibility.

Back to Top

If the paternal father's name isn't on my stepdaughter's birth certificate do we need to notify the paternal father of our petition?

Any parent or adult who retains parental or custodial rights over a minor has a right, based in statute, to be notified and must provide consent or waiver of consent to legal actions regarding the minor. The actual law will vary from state to state, but the general rule is that both parents must consent to a name change for a minor. Our forms services are designed for uncontested legal actions only - actions where all interested parties can come to agreement.

Our New Hampshire Minor name change forms services assumes that one of the minor child's biological parent's will Petition the Court (on behalf of the minor) and that the minor child's other biological parent (non-petitioning parent), as well as any other adult with legal rights regarding the minor will consent to the change of name and sign an Assent form indicating such. Thus no legal notice (service/citation) will be needed.

Back to Top

What if the request to change my name is denied?

Most name change Petitions are granted, however, the law gives the Court the power to decline a person's request for a name change. Therefore, the Court can refuse a name change request if there is a reason to decline the request.

If a name change Petition was denied because there was not enough evidence to support the request, then you will have to wait until the circumstances that led to the denial change before you can file another Petition. This is because once the Court makes a decision about an incident or an event; it cannot address that same incident or event again. If the Petition was denied because of a procedural error (for example, you did not file the correct forms), then you should correct the error and request another time to ask the Judge to approve your name change.

Finally, whenever you lose in Court, you have the right to request the Court to reconsider its decision and you have the right to appeal the decision to a higher Court. Please note that in most cases you have 30 days or less from the date of the Judge's decision to exercise these rights or you may lose your right to reconsideration or appeal. You should seek the assistance of an attorney to exercise these rights.

Back to Top

New Hampshire Name Change Forms


Adult Name Change $29.95
Minor Name Change $29.95


Adult Name Change $99.95
Minor Name Change $119.95

Try before you buy

BBB Reliability Program

What Our Customers Say